Pages

Wednesday 12 October 2011

Family drama-lama-ding-dong

Thanksgiving.  Too much turkey.  Too much dessert.  Too much family drama.
This is a bit of a digression from my usual topic but as it is so freshly burned into my mind I thought I would share.  Lucky you.  We had made it through one family dinner with minor incident and since this was D's, my darling hubby, family I thought we were good.  Well, I was sure wrong.  My family decided it needed to win the drama of the month award.  I come from a family of women.  Meaning that I have three sisters and we have 5 daughters.  No boys.  That's a lot of hormones swirling in one place at one time.  And swirl they did on Thanksgiving.  Like a vortex of black tar.   So sticky that one touch traps you and pulls you in.  Then it started to splatter.  Everyone got hit including the kids.  Not one was spared.  Some people left.  Some people stayed.  Food was served.  Wine was poured.  And drunk.  
Thankfully, (well, it is the season, you know) we are a family of avoiders.  No one will say anything to anybody and eventually it will blow over.  It always does.  This one was particularly ugly so it might take longer.  Also thankful that Canadian Thanksgiving is earlier than American Thanksgiving.  It gives us a few extra weeks to recover before Christmas.  Tho' I'm not sure it's going to be long enough.  
I'm going to spare you the whole story but it was about meatballs.  Seriously, meatballs.





No comments:

Post a Comment